Friday, September 12, 2008

So they teach this now...Part 2 (speak truth in love)

Philosophy is like a punch in the face.


Or more like a sucker punch from behind.

Socrates. Plato. Aristotle. I think my brain just imploded. (I personally don't like philosophy)

I understand that philosophy has a dramatic impact of how Christian theology was formed, discussed and interpreted and I do love reading, studying, and understanding theology. Yet somehow, to me philosophies role in theology was to try to close off the mystical aspects of God and try to have a rational answer for it.

Rationality is another result of philosophy spawning from Aristotle which spawned into our theology. I see a reason behind have rationality in theology, where we must somehow grasp or define God and what he does in our lives. 

But how do you define an unlimited God?

Theology it seems, breaks God's into parts, and tries to study the part.

But I fear that might make us miss the whole picture of who God is (if that is even possible to see the whole of God)

So then we come back to "speak truth in love".

Truth must incorporate our story.

So speak truth in love.

(I don't know if I am making sense anymore at this point)

No comments: